Tuesday, August 24, 2010

How do I get my 6 year old daughter to stop biting her finger nails? She only started a few months ago.?

We bought some really cute gloves for our nail biter. Since it's winter you can find all kinds of cute gloves for her.How do I get my 6 year old daughter to stop biting her finger nails? She only started a few months ago.?
First look back a couple of months and see if there is any psychological reason that she has started to bite her nails. (started a new school, moved, parent/relative left....) If you can't find any reason for it, it never hurts to ask her why she started to bite her nails,who knows she may have an answer for you. She also may be doing it without realizing it





I had a cousin who used to bite her nails. Her parents tried a couple of different things including putting band-aids over the nails that she would chew on, using a product similar to Thum(I can't remember the actual product) and trimming/file her nails so that there was nothing to bite at.





If she likes the berenstein bears books read her the one about sister bear biting her nails.If I remember correctly it ends with sister bear breaking the habit.





Good luckHow do I get my 6 year old daughter to stop biting her finger nails? She only started a few months ago.?
It depends on what will motivate her to stop, and why she's doing it in the first place. I was a habitual nail-biter since age 6 or so, and my parents tried everything! Rubber band around the wrist to distract me from biting, the polish that tastes bad (this may be a good option!) and multiple rewards and punishments. Is your daughter biting because she's nervous or scared about something, or is it just a habit that she doesn't even realize she's doing?





Good luck. . . . it's a hard habit to quit!
my dad used to put cologne in my hands so evrytime i went to bite my nails they would be so bitter tht i stopped bitting them now i have perfect nails


p.s-washing it doesnt take the taste away fully so i had a hard time
turn her over your knee and spank her on her bare bum.


she will stop biting her fingernails in no time.


honest.





laurey.


a.laureyandwilliam@yahoo.co.uk
What changed to make her start? I have a thumbsucker (6) who will not stop, but he started in the womb and only does it to sleep. Remind her of the germs if she is a germaphobic kid, whatever she is afraid of connect it to nail biting, although honestly germs would do it for me!
Try putting nail polish remover or something else REALLY nasty on them. That is how I stopped. :~)
She doesn't realize she is doing it. It is a nervous habit. To laurey- Why on earth would u spank a child for biting her nails when she doesn't realize it? I hope that lady has no children. Adults have nervous habits too I think its funny how adults think they shouldn't get punished for the same things the kids are doing.





Just remind her every time u see her biting her nails. I am doing that with my daughter who is still sucking her thumb. She will be like ';whyyyyyy cant i stop!?!?'; lolol





It takes time to quit and it can be done if she wants to. I used to bite my nails when I was a kid too and i realized it made my nails look ugly so I really really tried finally stopped at abt 10 or 11. I also picked up the habit of chewing my lips ick... that went on thru out high school and I finally stopped. Bad habits die hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment